homestead - Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 19:11:59 -0400

Well, after looking at the structure on the Wikipedia page, I'd say that juglone probably is toxic because of a chain reaction that generates free radicals/peroxides as the aromaticity degrades so the key to counteracting would be to stop that cycle. How, I really don't know. Sorry to disappoint ya.. At work, we have a similar problem with resins at work(resins/sap-same same)---as they age, they start to break down and free radicals form, causing a lot of foaming, bubbling-well, it's peroxides..so you get that..
Let me think about it for a while, okay?..no guarantees though, after all, it would seem to me that someone would have done this before if it were easy. At work, we have to throw away certain unsaturated/aromatic resins if they are more than 6 months old..that's not promising for dealing with free radicals in the soil, but perhaps some kind of nematode or bacteria would help?

Bev