homestead - Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Odd tree problem
  • Date: Tue, 10 Jun 2008 05:58:20 -0500

On Jun 9, 2008, at 9:40 PM, EarthNSky wrote:

I'd love to take this tree down as it will KO my garden or the
workshop/greenhouse, but sweetgum is sucky firewood and it is the main
tree in that area. In my experience, once you take out a tree, you
create a domino effect of treefall from the loss of the first windbreak
tree. Any ideas on the use of the wood? The tree is about 3 feet in
diameter.

I planted a sweetgum (liquidambar) about seventy-five feet behind the house about twenty-five years ago. It makes beautiful autumn color. I have since learned that while its beauty and fast growth make it a favorite for lawns and parks, it is considered by many to be a trash tree. For a number of years I have dealt with the increasing root growth above ground around its base and with lots of sprout. I would not plant another so close to the house.

Because of the fast growth I suspect the wood is soft. Ron can tell us for sure when you take it down.

My walnut problem and your sweetgum problem highlight the important of being careful what trees you grow near your garden and buildings.