homestead - Re: [Homestead] On certainty

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On certainty
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 09:09:13 -0700

Again, Lisa, there's that myth that if we didn't spend the money on the war
it would have been available to spend on alternate energy.

There are many ways to spend money, some good, many bad. This war has little long term benefit whereas spending this money for infrastructure improvements would have a long term benefit but it wasn't and more than likely would not have been. The reality is that the money was poured out on the sand with little or no benefit and a huge debt. That debt is the problem. No one thinks about what the interest payments will be. Right now bonds are cheap but what if the Fed significantly increases interest rates to fight inflation. What if our foreign bond customers wand higher interest rates to make up for the devaluing dollar? The net result will either significantly increased taxes or significantly reduced monies for other functions. The amount of money required to cover the interest alone will be staggering.

Don Bowen KI6DIU