homestead - Re: [Homestead] On certainty

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On certainty
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 16:33:56 EDT

> >Yeah, we have some here who are pretty sure theirs is the only answer.

In a video of the Nearings made in the mid 70's, Scott is pontificating,
gestures with his hand at the surroundings and says, "This is the good life"
He
immediately corrects himself and says "This is *a* good life...."

The problem I see, and it is certainly why I think some otherwise useful
discussions and threads run aground on this list, seems to be the assumption
and
belief that if anyone is advocating *a* way that works, they must defacto be
saying that it is *the* way that works.

Homesteading per se, the direct use economy, works. It works for anybody.
It works no matter the times nor the general economic vicissitudes. The
overly
techo-geeked 'homesteads' don't often seem to pan out, nor do the miniature
agribusiness operations. But the simple fundamentals of a homestead economy
work, they always have and the always will. </HTML>