homestead - Re: [Homestead] On certainty

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On certainty
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 12:57:14 -0400

On Sat, Jun 7, 2008 at 12:09 PM, Don Bowen <don.bowen AT earthlink.net> wrote:

No one thinks about what the interest payments will be. Right now
> bonds are cheap but what if the Fed significantly increases interest rates
> to fight inflation. What if our foreign bond customers wand higher
> interest
> rates to make up for the devaluing dollar? The net result will either
> significantly increased taxes or significantly reduced monies for other
> functions. The amount of money required to cover the interest alone will
> be
> staggering.

I do! Numbers used to be my life. Our country is nearly bankrupt (and may
already be if one could find the real statistics), despite the Fed ramping
up the printing press. We won't lack for dollars but they'll be worth less
than the batch printed earlier.

The whole thing is one big sorry mess. No elected official will do the hard
work, no one wants to sacrifice (generally speaking), the public as a whole
either doesn't know, doesn't care, or disbelieves that it will matter.
Education seems to be part of the answer, but we're running out of time.

It's too bloody hot this early in June in the Appalachians.

lkvp