homestead - Re: [Homestead] On certainty

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] On certainty
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jun 2008 18:07:22 -0500

On Jun 7, 2008, at 3:33 PM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Homesteading per se, the direct use economy, works. It works for anybody.
It works no matter the times nor the general economic vicissitudes. The overly
techo-geeked 'homesteads' don't often seem to pan out, nor do the miniature
agribusiness operations. But the simple fundamentals of a homestead economy
work, they always have and the always will. </HTML>

If you can find a way to be less certain than "always" I think we are in agreement.

There is something about that word that gives me pause.

I've not been a fan of futuristic sci-fi books, but I do have a good imagination, and I can imagine a time when living on one's private piece of dirt might not be allowed. That said, I do not see that scenario in our lifetime, so I guess that could be considered always.

It occurs that we might from time to time stop to consider that with all the flaws we see in America, this is one of the few countries with laws and conditions that allow the homesteading life. I'm glad I was born here.