homestead - Re: [Homestead] Traveling survey

  • From: "Don Bowen" <don.bowen AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Traveling survey
  • Date: Sat, 26 Apr 2008 13:18:13 -0700

This is not the best place to ask, but I was wondering if anyone had
changed travel plans because of the energy prices?

I did earlier in the year. I wanted to go to a Ham Fest in Arizona and visit Gene but the fuel cost changed my plans. I really would like to go to the Emergency Communications Conference in Reno next weekend but I just cannot afford the fuel and a night in a hotel.

I was talking with someone and he was putting off a trip this summer
due to fuel costs, my thought was that it's not going to be any
cheaper next year.

I really doubt costs will come down ever. My plans are to make it all the way to North Carolina this year as it may well be the last time. I am seeing $3.829 in Hollister and prices ease off about $.40 as you leave California but it will still be expensive.

I recently read an interesting editorial. I may not agree but they did bring up a few good points. One was that we have been pushing the rest of the world to modernize by pushing trade deals and education. Many countries have now done so and in a time of scarcity they are competing with us for declining resources.

Don Bowen KI6DIU