homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 22:08:21 -0500

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 1:54 PM, <paxamicus AT earthlink.net> wrote:
> You know, Lisa, I wake up at 3 am on the dot EVERY FREAKING NIGHT no
> matter what I do, and trust me, I've been on the receiving end of
> BATTERIES of blood work over the last year. There's nothing wrong with
> me a bucket of lard wouldn't fix, but I STILL wake up at 3 am.

It's menopause. I would bet the family farm on it if it weren't in a
trust (and trust me, it's a trust that ain't much so far as income to
beneficiaries goes, but oh well). I work closely in my day job with 8
other people. One is male, bless his heart, and the rest of us are
either menopausal or perimenopausal. Nobody sleeps well.

I used to sleep like the dead, but now I wake up at 3 a.m. And guess
what? So does almost everyone else I work with on a daily basis. This
leads to a bunch of cranky, sleep-deprived people trying to remember
what the hell they did yesterday.

I challenge James to solve this problem of hormone-induced insanity
(and, please believe me, not sleeping makes people crazy). Lest you
write us off as not trying, we generally pay attention to diet &
exercise and are otherwise healthy. If a meltonin tab at night would
make me sleep well, I'd take it. Alas, I've tried and generally all
that works for me is complete exhaustion.

Women these days live far, far longer than evolution intended. Get
used to it. It aint pretty. But then old men aren't much either.

Marie