homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 14:26:19 -0400

On Thu, Apr 17, 2008 at 2:01 PM, <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com> wrote:

> > I believe there is a place for good quality supplements and believe they
> can
> > assist a person to be healthy or become healthy.
>
> For what it's worth, the research doesn't back up that view.

I understand your point. I'm not playing devil's advocate (perhaps I am),
but I've read research to the contrary. Let's take echinacea or astralagus.
Yes, you can eat both of those foods (usually root form). They are bitter
but could be added to tea, I've done it. It's easier for me to take it in
supplement form (pill, tab, tincture). Both echinacea and astralagus are
known for boosting the immune system. Taking limited time, here is one
(long) link:
http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/cgi-bin/abstract/112672472/ABSTRACT?CRETRY=1&SRETRY=0

> Melatonin in broccoli.
>
> > We love broccoli and consume it in vast quantities here, but I can't get
> No you can't, but you can get it from sunlight. Indirectly.
>
> Like that, longer exposure to sunlight is supposed to balance melatonin
> production. With that solution who knows what other benefits one gets.

The need to apply more sunscreen to hopefully prevent burns and skin cancer?

Seriously though, I'm outside frequently (though less so in colder weather)
and it doesn't seem to help me sleep any better. Melatonin costs about $3
for a bottle of 100 tabs and it works, I take it in the smallest dosage
sold.

> With the supplement, I'd (personally) be concerned I was masking
> something else that wanted addressing.

I'm not concerned in this instance, but thanks for yours. ;)

I agree with you that eating whole foods for the source of nutrients is best
with emphasis given to local, organic or no-spray foods.

I respectfully agree to disagree that supplements do not have a place in
helping to keep one healthy. I'm not advocating that every person in the
world take a handful of supplements every day, but a position of moderation
and 'as needed.'

It's a beautiful day here and my break is over. Like you, I've got much to
do outside. Going to get my day's dose of melatonin. ;)

Lisa