homestead - Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] We're all gonna die
  • Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 15:11:23 -0500

On Apr 17, 2008, at 11:53 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

That said, when we have a cold, in addition to eating homemade chicken soup
filled with garlic and ginger, we also take Vitamin C, garlic, Astralagus
and a couple of other supplements. The cold we were coming down with goes
away. Was it the soup, the supplements, both together--perhaps combined with
getting more sleep?

Lisa, first ask why you got a cold? Best probabilities are stress, negative thoughts and an incomplete diet. I am not sure how many years now that I have not had a cold. If I feel one coming on I do one thing: I stop eating. It works.

I believe there is a place for good quality supplements and believe they can
assist a person to be healthy or become healthy.

I think that if someone is for some reason unable to obtain a good diet, then certain supplements might ward off illness.

Here's a for instance for you: I take 1 mg. of time-release Melatonin
almost every night to help me fall asleep and stay asleep in the middle of
the night (in my case it's more the issue of waking in the middle of the
night). Why? Because at my age I'm perimenopausal (more info than you
needed) and 'sleep issues' often come with the territory. Melatonin is a
chemical manufactured in the brain that diminishes with age. Since I began
taking Melatonin the quality of my sleep has improved dramatically, back to
how it used to be (most nights), thank heavens.

Hm, now that is one I used to take but don't now and in fact my sleep the last couple years has become very irregular, some nights I sleep right through, other nights I wake up after three or four hours and can't go back to sleep. I suspect that I need less sleep. Naps do work. I'm working on it. Perhaps I should follow Edison's example.