homestead - Re: [Homestead] So many things wrong with this situation

  • From: Rob <becida AT comcast.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] So many things wrong with this situation
  • Date: Thu, 24 Apr 2008 18:59:11 -0700

At 4/23/2008 09:39 AM,Gene GeRue wrote:

The expense of maintaining a police, court and detention business of
this magnitude is awful. Citizens are in prison, costing we taxpayers
large sums of money to give them food, shelter, clothing and medical
care, and in many cases doing the same for their spouses and children.
Through out various failings we cause and support this war against our
citizens.

The only answers I have are to eliminate dumb laws like the stupid War
on Drugs and to offer non-violent lawbreakers the option of prison
versus a decent job and a strict parole system so they can support
their families and gain a sense of self-worth.

There is so much money being made in "the war on drugs" on both sides of the law that it's not countable.
At http://www.cjcj.org/pubs/one_million/onemillion.html it says it cost "20,224.65 to incarcerate one jail inmate for one year in 1997. " The inflation calculator ( http://www.westegg.com/inflation/infl.cgi ) says that's 26478.44 last year. And that is tax payers cash going into someone's pocket. It's hard to kill a cash cow in our land of purchased lawmakers

Inmate Count in U.S. Dwarfs Other Nations'
By ADAM LIPTAK
Published: April 23, 2008
The United States has less than 5 percent of the world's population.
But it has almost a quarter of the world's prisoners.

Rob
becida AT comcast.net