homestead - [Homestead] Garlic, was Re: Hops into action

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [Homestead] Garlic, was Re: Hops into action
  • Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 08:52:10 -0700

On Mar 31, 2008, at 8:26 AM, Clansgian AT wmconnect.com wrote:

Celia, dry them a LOT. Even a short stay in a dehydrator. It only improves
the garlic. I'm close to where Jeanne is and it is very humid here in the
temperate rain forrest.

That is really interesting. Heartwood is plenty humid. I hang pulled garlic in bunches of a dozen or so, high and near the back wall of the sloped East Wing ceiling. Full shade. I installed a small ceiling fan in there that runs a lot in the summer.

As with James, my biggest challenge is growing enough to last until next harvest. I hereby confess to the following extreme levels of wrongdoing: in Phoenix I buy garlic in three-pound bags for less than five dollars each--at Sam's Club. Grown in China. Beautiful stuff. Now loaded in the truck are four such bags. I am going to try for a big spring planting which will be first priority upon arriving at home. None planted last fall because of the horse incident the previous winter.