homestead - Re: [Homestead] Asparagus

  • From: <eureka AT hctc.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Asparagus
  • Date: Sun, 09 Mar 2008 10:39:32 -0600

My husband, a 2005 transplant from Wisconsin, is simply amazed that our soil never freezes and is enjoying gardening 12 months a year. He's out there raising beds as we speak. We have been enjoying seven kinds of lettuce, arugula, turnip greens, three kinds of kale, and chard for over a month. Our seed grown transplants of cauliflower, broccoli, brussels sprouts, bok choy, and kohlrabi are ready to be planted this week. I hope to get some photos posted to our blog and will email the link when I do.

I've noticed plenty of bees in the garden drinking from the drip irrigation lines, but I haven't seen them on the peach and apricot trees which are now in full bloom nearer the house.

The flip side to living in such a temperate zone is sometimes it gets too hot when the tomato, pepper, and eggplant seedlings need to be set out and we have to erect tents with old sheets over everything to shade them while they take root. The garden begins to look like a hobo camp!

--Sage

Way Out in Texas

On Sat, 8 Mar 2008 15:32:49 -0500