homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat
  • Date: Tue, 11 Mar 2008 11:13:42 -0700

Lynda wrote:

Almost everyone up here are cattle oriented. There are some folks with Jacobs and some folks with Black Bellies. I don't want any modern breeds. They just taste too muttony for me even when lambs. I like the meat from the old breeds like the Icelandics, Shetland, Soay.

We are kinda looking toward the hair breeds, though, due to the extreme heat up here in the summers and the time and cost of shearing. However, the guy down in the valley (we're at 3,000', on a private road that dips down into a valley before heading back up and onto the highway) has Suffolks that he hasn't sheared in about 5 or more years and they seem to survive the 110 degree summers.

My site is ice cold. We're on a north facing ridge. We have to put a poolhouse around the new pool just to get up enough inclination to go for a swim. Habaneros and okra won't even grow, outside the greenhouse. On the plus side, the lettuce goes on and on without turning bitter, snap peas grow well into the summer, and potatoes have no diseases. Sunset magazine calls it the "English garden" climate. Sheep here would prefer to keep their coat even in summer, as cool as it is. The gal I got them from told me that crossing two breeds of self-shedding sheep does not necessarily result in a sheep that's self-shedding. So some do and some don't. They shed so gradually that I don't even notice it. In short, no worries.