homestead - Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.

  • From: "Jeanne Driese" <jeanne13 AT earthlink.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Who knows? Only time.
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 12:38:39 -0400

This is an exerpt from the internet:
Barbara Kingsolver was born in 1955 in Annapolis, Maryland, and grew up in
rural Kentucky. She counts among her most important early influences: the
Bookmobile, a large family vegetable garden, the surrounding fields and
woods, and parents who were tolerant of nature study (anything but snakes and
mice could be kept in the house), but intolerant of TV.

Beginning around the age of nine, Barbara kept a journal, wrote poems and
stories, and entered every essay contest she ever heard about. Her first
published work, "Why We Need a New Elementary School," included an account of
how the school's ceiling fell and injured her teacher. The essay was printed
in the local newspaper prior to a school-bond election; the school bond
passed. For her efforts Barbara won a $25 savings bond, on which she
expected to live comfortably in adulthood.

Hey James, she lived in KY until she graduated from high school, plenty of
time to become familiar with life in our area. I do not agree that she was
"imported", at least not as a complete stranger, to this culture. Also she
was not impressed by the fact that "They " were grant mongers, but by the
desire to grow, produce and sell locally.
James has my agreement about the Pisonwood Bible but it seems a bit drastic
to say she has done the same thing where she is now!
Just my two cents worth.
Jeanne
tnhillwoman
North East TN zone 6