homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 20:01:07 -0400

Oh, good, you are already a sheep person, I can ask YOU stuff. : )

On Mar 9, 2008, at 1:19 PM, Lynda wrote:

Almost everyone up here are cattle oriented. There are some folks with
Jacobs and some folks with Black Bellies. I don't want any modern breeds.
They just taste too muttony for me even when lambs. I like the meat from
the old breeds like the Icelandics, Shetland, Soay.

As I understand them, Icelandics are more thinking sheep than some of the
other breeds. When the older kidlets were in 4-H we had Corriedale/ Hamp or
Suffolk crosses and they did really well and they won the carcass contest
every year. They're just too inclined to be sheep sheep (dumb and panicy)
for me <g>