homestead - Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Selling lambs for meat
  • Date: Sun, 9 Mar 2008 09:19:23 -0800

Almost everyone up here are cattle oriented. There are some folks with Jacobs and some folks with Black Bellies. I don't want any modern breeds. They just taste too muttony for me even when lambs. I like the meat from the old breeds like the Icelandics, Shetland, Soay.

We are kinda looking toward the hair breeds, though, due to the extreme heat up here in the summers and the time and cost of shearing. However, the guy down in the valley (we're at 3,000', on a private road that dips down into a valley before heading back up and onto the highway) has Suffolks that he hasn't sheared in about 5 or more years and they seem to survive the 110 degree summers.

As I understand them, Icelandics are more thinking sheep than some of the other breeds. When the older kidlets were in 4-H we had Corriedale/Hamp or Suffolk crosses and they did really well and they won the carcass contest every year. They're just too inclined to be sheep sheep (dumb and panicy) for me <g>

We have coyotes, mountain lions and bear. We're putting up three strands of the highest tensile strength high tensile wire. The coyotes might figure out how to get under or jump over but it does stop the bears and generally keeps the mountain lions out.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: <paxamicus AT earthlink.net>

I don't know where you are, Lynda, but I urge you to take a good luck
at what other locals are farming.

I was all about having wool sheep until I experiemented and found I
really couldn't use them in the summer, they got heat stressed easily.
If you are in the South, the Icelandics might have a tough time.

I'd love to be running nothing but Corriedales, because I think they
are the cutest things ever, but I was reluctant to deal with them here
in Virginia. Just too much maintenance for me.

Cheers