homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pacifism

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pacifism
  • Date: Sat, 8 Mar 2008 16:09:16 -0500

Ghandi would disagree.

I'm not saying I think you are wrong in how you feel, I'm just saying, Ghandi walked right under the clubs. The Honoured Uncle gave the Robber his last shirt.

One thing I have learned to do is judge my actions against how they ar going to effect ME. And I don't mean, in a materialistic calculating way.

What I mean is, If I'm about to say something really catty, I've learned to think about whether I really want to take that cattiness internally. When I think of myself as the "er" part of the an equation, it changes things.
I know, that doesn't make any sense. Let me try again. If I am having a sarcastic conversation with someone, I'm not just being sarcastic and hurtful to them. I'm bearing the brunt of carrying around sarcasm and meanness.

It has taken a long time and a lot of help to get to this point. I think it's a good one.

Anyway, I think pacifism of any sort is doomed to failure and long as it is the thrust of our culture to be bigger, better, and have more plastic crap than the next guy. Or, conversely, to think it's ok to push one's opinions down someone else's throat, no matter how much you want to save them.