homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pacifism

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pacifism
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 08:16:27 -0400

Well. I guess I'd be hard pressed to point out someone a lot more pacifist than Ghandi. : ) I didn't say he was a perfect pacifist, but as a case study in someone who made a pretty full evolution, from soldier to statesman, he's pretty much right up Gene's alley in terms of the discussion.

Besides, I don't think it was his acts that caused the real issue. If the Brits hadn't been there, a perfectly respectable Indian sitting crosslegged on the Ganges was hardly going to start a war. Maybe if he'd marched into Parliament and sutteed himself it'd have been a problem for the housekeeping staff but that's about it.