homestead - Re: [Homestead] Certified Humane- Was Selling lambs

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Certified Humane- Was Selling lambs
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 07:12:58 -0700

On Mar 7, 2008, at 6:25 AM, paxamicus AT earthlink.net wrote:

In my hunting around for more info I found this link:

http://www.certifiedhumane.org/

humane |(h)yoōˈmān|
adjective
1 having or showing compassion or benevolence : regulations ensuring the humane treatment of animals.
• inflicting the minimum of pain : humane methods of killing.
2 formal (of a branch of learning) intended to have a civilizing or refining effect on people : the center emphasizes economics as a humane discipline.

I find that as I have moved away from raising, killing and eating large animals I have also moved away from hunting and toward pacifism, one of the few subjects on which Tvo and I disagreed. I wish I then had this quote to offer for his consideration: “I am not only a pacifist but a militant pacifist. I am willing to fight for peace. . . . Is it not better for a man to die for a cause in which he believes, such as peace, than to suffer for a cause in which he does not believe, such as war?”
--Albert Einstein

My perspective today is that killing--and it seems to be that the larger the victim the greater the feeling--tends to brutalize me, to make me more harsh. I still eat chicken and fish and know well the conditions and processes that food entails, but it seems to bother me less than the large animals. Those of you who do raise, kill and eat large animals, do you find your attitudes toward the practice evolving in any way as the years pass?