homestead - Re: [Homestead] Closed loops: homesteading, permaculture, biodynamics and more

  • From: VAN DELL JORDAN <vdjor AT yahoo.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Closed loops: homesteading, permaculture, biodynamics and more
  • Date: Mon, 10 Mar 2008 09:19:39 -0700 (PDT)

Gene,
Are septic systems required where you are?
So far that is the only thing like a zoning/code
regulation we have. And here it seems that there is no
one checking on that, so unless it happens to called
to the attention of county health they would never
know. Since there is no building permit there is no
process that would notify them. When I asked the
answer was "that happens", rather than the "you'd
better not do that". Makes me think they are not
policing it very hard.
We also have the option of lagoons. I haven't
researched the chemistry but I suspect that is better
than a septic system.
We also have the option of composting toilets with a
lagoon for gray water. And even that of a wetland but
those take separate permit processes.
Van Dell