homestead - Re: [Homestead] Certified Humane- Was Selling lambs

  • From: paxamicus AT earthlink.net
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Certified Humane- Was Selling lambs
  • Date: Fri, 7 Mar 2008 13:16:53 -0500

She was here when I brought Sophie in from school at 3:30. At 4::30 when I walked down to meet Maeve at the bus stop, I found the triplets running around screaming.

My property is long and thin and the house is the complete opposite end of the road. The gates are drive-through. I can't see them from the house. She was a doting mama. She didn't leave those babies even if the whole flocked drifted.
And she came from a very good line of terrific mamas.

We took the ponies out and hunted for about two hours till we lost the light. No sign of her.

I have Border Collies. Herding dogs. I can't leave them out there to watch the sheep because they'd do nothing but move the sheep around obsessively.

There isn't a predator problem here so I didn't feel the need to get a LGD. Now I do. The guy at the co-op said it's the second one he's heard of in the last few weeks.

I have got two of these babies on a milk bar but the third is being a real pain. I am not sure he will make the adjustment fast enough.

I turned them out in my front yard so I could keep an eye on them. One of the other mothers is gathering them up with her own. If she keeps on with that I will be well pleased.