homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 10:15:02 -0500

Gene GeRue wrote:

I have recently been reading papers and articles by Austan Goolsbee,
Obama's economic advisor. In one of his articles he shows the real
percentages of stuff we import. It is far smaller than I expected.
We are still an economic powerhouse and largely self-sufficient.

I don't need to read an article to find the truth of the matter, I just
look around... It is really, really hard for me to view this country as
"an economic powerhouse and largely self sufficient". Wow.

Almost all of our raw materials at work (polymers, waxes, etc) are made
overseas...waxes from China, polymers from France, Canada, etc.,
pigments from Finland, etc. (Yeah Finland!!)
The point is, of the things that are literally made in the USA, much of
the raw materials are from elsewhere...The paper you write on might have
come from trees in Finland, for example.

I'm looking around my desk..

My digital camera and its case were made in China
mousepad China
heart monitor China
telephone China
decorative copper smudge pots Pakistan
Chapstick Virginia, but made from petroleum waxes from elsewhere
Boston stapler, made in China
ceramic candle holder China
Halogen desk lamp China
Scissors China
Deskpad Calendar USA

My clothing:
shoes China
sweatshirt Bangladesh
Jeans USA, denim produced here, but cotton grown elsewhere..

Look around and determine the truth of your reality..

Bev, who just spend over 30 minutes looking at stuff..now off to the
optical shop to pick up my glasses frames which had to be shipped in
from somewhere else, too.

34.498N 85.076W Bev is Earth, Ron is Sky