homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 06:54:49 -0700

On Feb 22, 2008, at 9:08 PM, tom wrote:

Certainly a far more localized and diversified economy is superior in
terms of resilience and overall stability as far as the lives of the
'average' person are concerned.

I need facts on that. Food stability and security is greater when the source is spread more broadly. Think garden failure. Think the great potato failure in Europe. If we choose to rail at globalism we might start with out recent ancestors who left their caves and huts and crossed an ocean.

Localism is important in terms of energy use and community health. I see globalism as the inevitable result of free enterprise and resultant free trade.

Most 'homesteaders' seem to be drawn
to an ethic of self-reliance and self-sufficiency, for a number of
reasons- not least ethical ones and for a desire to create a more
secure existence for themselves. Why should not the same ethic apply
on the scales of community, state, country?

"Should?" When I see "should" I get nervous and want to look out the front window to see if the pamphleteers are here. Homesteading barely works for a very small number. It is impossible on a national scale. The motivation for modern homesteading is based less on ethics and more on economics, space and freedom. We live more simply than the masses, but we freely pick and choose advanced technology. Indeed, this homestead list is possible only because of advanced technology. Take a deep breath and inspect your computer for country of manufacture.