homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 14:10:18 -0800

More broad doesn't mean not local. It means variety and Ireland and the potato famine are the perfect example of not relying on a single type of produce. They wouldn't have needed to worry if they hadn't put all their eggs in one basket.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

I need facts on that. Food stability and security is greater when the
source is spread more broadly. Think garden failure. Think the great
potato failure in Europe. If we choose to rail at globalism we might
start with out recent ancestors who left their caves and huts and
crossed an ocean.

Localism is important in terms of energy use and community health. I
see globalism as the inevitable result of free enterprise and
resultant free trade.