homestead - Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Teamsters endorse Obama
  • Date: Sat, 23 Feb 2008 09:48:33 EST

> I have recently been reading papers and articles by Austan Goolsbee,
> Obama's economic advisor. In one of his articles he shows the real
> percentages of stuff we import. It is far smaller than I expected. We
> are still an economic powerhouse and largely self-sufficient.

I'd be very interested in reading that because I'd have to say that a trip to
any retailer tells a different tale. Even in grocery stores just trapse down
an aisle and look at the country of origin for the products. USA is in the
monority. Flip the label in any clothing store and find something made in
the
USA. A neighbor went to a major tool store and said he wanted a drill made
in
the USA. Out of seventeen corded drills the store carried ONE (a Porter
Cable) was made in the USA. About 60% of the oil we use and more than half
the
natural gas, around half the cars, are all of foreign origin.

What's left? </HTML>