homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 07:29:31 -0700

On Jun 26, 2007, at 6:29 AM, Lisa K.V. Perry wrote:

The pond was slightly dredged, enlarged, silt pond created above and road
built around it in summer 04. Last summer son caught a large catfish when
fishing in a neighbor's pond. They think he took it home and ate it.
Instead, he put it in our pond. ;) We saw it the other day. Restocking the
pond is on the list.

Okay, on your priority list, is the big catfish or the swimming at the top?

Belly-flopping might scare a few things away from the immediate area. Dynamite would do more than scare them away. It is an old trick used to harvest fish. Boom! And up float the fresh but dead fish. Ever eat snake? Might be a way to overcome snake phobia. Eat thy enemies. Probably best to do it right there at the edge of the pond, in case any slithering relatives are watching.