homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 12:30:30 -0400

On 6/26/07, Jerry W. Shepperd <shepperd AT austincc.edu> wrote:

Several years ago, someone on the list mentioned a snake problem in
their pond. It was suggested that ducks would clear the pond of
snakes. I don't remember who made the suggestion, TVO, Gene, James,
Rob, Bev, Lynda, or someone else. I was not the one who asked the
question, but I did try the solution and it worked.

Jerry Shepperd

Jerry, what a great idea. We had muscovy ducks last fall but they died when
our pond froze over and they didn't want to overnight in the barn. We had a
straw bale home for them at the pond, but once it froze solid that didn't
seem to matter.

So, if we get more ducks (which we've been thinking about) and get them used
to the barn early, and build a safer pond home, then in theory they'll make
it through winter and eliminate the snakes.

I've tried gator before at a festival but have never eaten snake. Never say
never.

Lisa