homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: Mjkoaktreecottag AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2007 12:45:55 EDT

We had an amusing situation about 10 years ago when we adopted a neighbor
boy's, from across the street in our small town, grown Easter ducks when
they
went to Europe for 2 years, hoping to give them back when he returned.
However, "home" to the ducks was across the street and they were forever
crossing
over, running the risk of being hit by a driver. not expecting to see 2
large
white ducks waddling across the street in town. The incredulity on their
faces was funny! The other problem was that some residents refused to obey
the
leash laws so their dogs would run Lucy & Wimp ( Wimpy--she ruled the
roost!)
so I took to keeping a large real (broomcorn--they are heavier) broom by the
front door and more than 1 dog got a broom spanking or on the 2nd
infraction, a headache. My husband said I looked like the lady on the Dutch
Cleanser
can!! Anyhow, a family I knew from a garden group, who owned a 2 acre
private pond, said that they'd take the ducks. So we put them in the van and
travelled an hour north with them on our way to visit family. We put them
in the
water several times, but they didn't seem to like it. The lady said she'd
keep trying so we left them there and continued on our way to LanCo.
However,
when we returned home Mon AM there was a desperate call on the answering
machine (we have a home business) from our very excited acquaintance to come
get
our _#$%@_ (mailto:#$@h) ducks before she roasted them! They would not go
in
the pond at all, had adopted her grandson's wading pool on the patio
instead, in just a week had made it and the patio a slimy mess, pestered
her
constantly as she tried to tend her garden and made a wreck of her award
winning
flower beds searching for insects. So we had to close the office, and turn
around that same AM to go back to pick up the ducks. When we got there she
had
them caged and said she'd put them in the row boat (they seemed to like that
part) and rowed out to the middle of the pond where she dumped them out, but
they beat her back to shore! After that they would not go near the water or
her very contented wild ducks.. We decided that they were intimidated by so
much water ,since they'd only known a wading pool and our stock tank
previously, and had imprinted on people so they wanted to hang out where
people
were. We brought them home where they were happy in our yard for several
more
months---until they visited the yard at their old home when we were away.
They
were killed by the new renter's Husky, a sad ending to the story of Lucy &
Wimp, but they gave us many chuckles while we had them.....
maggie