homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 08:37:43 -0400

On 6/25/07, Wendy <crazygardens AT verizon.net> wrote:

Lisa,
If you can get close enough to see their eyes, poisonous snakes have
vertical slit shaped pupils. Round pupils means it is not poisonous,
might
have a bad attitude, but not poisonous.

This gives me the creeps. I shared this with my son and his smartalec
comment was "Mom, if I get close enough to see the pupils, it can bite me."
I told him we'll have to observe and try to not get too close. I'm really
hoping that the snake will just read my mind and slither itself up and out
of the pond, across the grass 'road' dam and down into the other side which
is a small creek. Sure it will.

My sister & family is coming on July 1 for a couple days, first time in five
years. Her three kids range in age from 5 1/2 to 9 1/2, they live in the
suburbs in GA. Now you all know that I'm no homesteader, but I'm the only
one in my family (same for my husband) that even lives in "the country".
Aunt Lisa Kae wanted to give her nephews & niece the rural experience of
floating in the pond, making homemade ice cream, picking black raspberries
(they took over the red), looking at the stars & catching lightning bugs.
Guess the pond will be taken off the list for now.

Youngest son has been ready to go swimming since late April, so we'll figure
something out after our guests leave.

Lisa