homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2007 09:29:47 -0400

On 6/26/07, Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com> wrote:

Do you have fish in the pond? If not, perhaps a concussion object
would clear the water.

The pond was slightly dredged, enlarged, silt pond created above and road
built around it in summer 04. Last summer son caught a large catfish when
fishing in a neighbor's pond. They think he took it home and ate it.
Instead, he put it in our pond. ;) We saw it the other day. Restocking the
pond is on the list.

A large concussion object? You want us to drop a large boulder in the pond
or have my husband do a running leaping belly flop? Or?

I was wondering about water quality. I've read that very small (think
miniature) bales of barley can clear up bad algae & help to keep the water
clear. Our water is clearer in the last couple years due to the improvements
made (silt pond and trees removed for road / walking path around pond - less
leaves fall in the water), but we didn't have snakes before the
improvements.

This pond is approximately 100' x 70' and 8' deep in middle and roughly egg
shaped, point of the egg is shallower and where water from silt pond
trickles out above it (spring fed).

Lisa