homestead - Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Pond snake problem
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jun 2007 13:40:03 -0700

When going to the pond, make a lot of noise and stomp around a lot (snakes
can't actually 'hear' in the sense that we do). Most snakes, even pit vipers,
would rather get out of Dodge than to deal with you. </HTML>

It is my understanding that they feel ground vibrations, so stomping your feet a bit is good advice.

In the Ozarks, copperheads are quite beautiful, with lovely tan, cream, and brown markings.

Alas, to have surface water is to have copperheads. To eliminate snakes around your house and grounds, eliminate their food. Cats and certain small dogs are useful, as is getting rid of favored habitat material.