homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question
  • Date: Sat, 23 Jun 2007 13:23:57 EDT

> But to eat a
> stalk would be to kill the plant, would it not?

Yes.

But while you need (and it really IS necessary) a very fertile, well prepared
bed to grow those handsome 3" bulbs, any ground that will grow a green onion
from a set will grow green garlic from a clove.

I use old bulbs sometimes, but a bulb rarely makes it through the winter
uneaten. Any place that I've neglected a bulb and the cloves send up that
cluster
of green shoots, I dig those up, separate them, and plant them like onion
slips. But mostly I get that cheapie $1.98/lb bulk garlic from the mart,
split
up the bulbs into cloves, plant those, and in eight weeks or less I have a
big
crop of green garlic. I use semi-good ground for it but never the best
ground. No point, the stalks wouldn't be that much better.

The garlic is pretty much not affected by frost either in the spring or fall
so I have some bed or the other of green garlic growing 10 months or more.

That is, the green garlic doesn't compete with the bulb garlic. If anything
it is viewed and used as a subset of green onions. </HTML>