homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question

  • From: "Lynn Wigglesworth" <lynnw1366 AT hotmail.com>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 11:34:37 -0400

The 'scapes' are the seedheads and their stalks. It's supposed to be good
to remove them so the plant puts it's energy into bulbs instead of seed
(there's a lot of debate about that). There's a 'science' to when to cut
them...when they make one full loop is what I read. They are very
good...sort of like giant garlic chives.

If you are harvesting garlic already, we are WAY behind you. I've got
another month or so till harvest.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA