homestead - Re: [Homestead] perfect Ecovillage

  • From: FranksFarm AT aol.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Cc: franksfarm AT aol.com
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] perfect Ecovillage
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:05:37 -0400

Hi all:)

Lynn wrote:

<<To me, the perfect ecovillage  would offer a range of affordable
housing...family homes, shared homes, tiny cottages... and would have work
for the 'villagers'...otherwise it's just a housing development. A farm
coop where people can, if they choose, earn enough working on the farm to
afford to live there (or work off the farm, if they choose). People would
have some freedom to find a job that suits them...raise animals, raise
produce, work in a certified kitchen to make value-added food products, do
crafts, and there would be a 'sales organization' (also proving jobs to
villagers) to market farm products on-farm or at Farmers markets, etc.
Sort of a modern day share-cropping.

Lynn Wigglesworth
Peasant Farmer
Tioga County, PA

Hi Lynn always good to hear from you.

I agree with much of what you and others have written about the goals, and
desires of IC's and other types of villages.

But I can assure you that as others havs said there are many, many
conflicting goals, and desires that require an enormous amount of enthusiasm,
dedication etc. to achieve successfully.

I also agree that building consensus is extremely important for the benefit
of the entire community. And that takes a good deal of time, and planning.
May seem to start with a dedicated, committed with some assets.

Yet if starting from scratch via the Internet etc. you often find high levels
of interest, and then spend inordinate amounts of time, answering questions,
and concerns.All of which are valid.

Regarding housing... Sure yurts, small cabins , domes offer shelter but they
will destroy property value, and if not maintained can easily become
eyesores. Many back to the landers want MORE than just basics.As some have
said trying to live simply based upon small farm enterprises can wear you
down, and will hardly pay for necessary amenities,mortgages etc.

I ,too, like the Amish example -but let's not forget this system is tied to
their faith, and has evolved over a long period of time. In my area there are
quite a few homesteading families, and most just barely get by; and many have
off farm income or second jobs.

The Ithaca EcoVillage in upstate NY has existed I believe for over 20 years
now, but it started out with fairly well to do committed back to the landers,
who were seeking a more simple , lifestyle. But enterprises were encouraged,
and many had skills that could be used within and without the community.

Diversity is to me extremely important. And achieving that is complex. Just
think of all the different needs, and expectations of such a group.

Another real stumbling block is ownership!Many folks I've talked to are VERY
independent, and brook no restrictions on their use of land, and rights
therein. However, for the benefit of any community there must be covenants,
and rules that protect the land,it's value,and the very values most seek.

I'm willing to invest in such an enterprise provide a foundation of what can
be achieved - but in the end it is the people -  their spirit, their
commitment ,their dedication, and their assets -that will determine the
success, and vitality of the community.

Like many things in life good things too have a purchase price, and a cost.
Some folks can use their assets, and savings to purchase such a lifestyle;
others with less assets have to work so much harder, make untold sacrifices
etc. to live simply on a small homestead.

I've spent a great deal of time considering types of housing,quality of
housing,low maintenance, energy efficiency, and geen building technologies.

I believe that how and what we build also has a great effect on our actual
enjoyment of life, on providing for our basic need in a more satisfying, and
healthy manner. Like many on our list I detest the McMansions of the rich and
famous that are so extravagant,so socially callous.

Believe me I'd love to find affordable housing that satisfies these criteria-
but so far have found few examples that would be acceptable to most. Modular,
and prefab offer possible future solutions, but there are too few well
designed affordable houses available today.

I believe though that living simply, and well and in harmony with nature in a
beautiful natural environment can be achieved in small communities. Funny
isn't this what Indians and other indigenous people achieved many, many years
ago!

I don't believe most folks are willing to undertake the hardships, and
sacrifices necessary to live the homesteading life on a small piece of land
with minimal assets, or easily monetized skills, a second job or other source
of income. I know many that try and simply give up after a few years, or
consign themselves to the grind.

The initial enthusiasm can wear thin in a hurry,when faced with natural
disasters,drought, poor health, aging etc.

So we need to find better ways to build communities that work, and that allow
such a lifestyle. I've always believed that "where there's a will there's a
way."

Obviously there are ways to make houses more affordable - such as
cohousing,triplexes,communal services - but not everyone is thrilled at such.
I belive the best communities should offer a number of different housing
options.But first, and foremost I believe that the entire community should be
thoroughly planned, laid out and designed to satisfy the needs and goals of
the residents. The landscaping, and design of the homes should all be such as
to foster community,preserve, and enhance values, encourage recycling, and
living simply.

I believe that successful communities based upon many of the ideals we share
is the way to go. Just too hard to do this on a subsistence basis - though
some on the list have done so.

Unfortunately there are far too few examples of such. But there is an ever
increasing number of small scattered communities that are so striving.

In todays world companies are so driven by profit that their are few
incentives to produce the highes quality product at the lowest price. Instead
they seem to constantly produce products that cost more, and often offer only
cosmetic or style benefits.

Too many products are priced for the luxury market. Just look at housing
today! Few builders can even profitably serve the affordable market due. So
they build larger, more feature filled houses at ever higher prices that
cater to those who can afford to buy them; or those willing to accept big
mortgages.

OK -enough for now:) If anyone is seriously interested or wants to continue
discussion just let me know. I'm always open to better ideas:) Best to all.
frank