homestead - Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Garlic scape question
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jun 2007 10:49:15 -0800

They aren't the stalks, Gene. They are the little part that goes to seed that you snip off if you want more growth to go to the bulbs.

Lynda
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

On Jun 22, 2007, at 6:47 AM, tonitime AT juno.com wrote:

Yup, Gene! If picked young, they are tender, mild, and greenish-
tasting
garlics. We use them in stir-fry also.
Toni

You really eat the stalks?

Young and tender, I understand. This is garlic harvest time and
stalks are hard, some too hard to braid. I just grab them together,
loop a string around them and hang from a cup hook in The East Wing.