homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farming Commune?

  • From: "Lisa K.V. Perry" <lisakvperry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farming Commune?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 19:45:25 -0400

Lynn,

This might sound kind of wacky, but what about starting your own IC, of
sorts, on your own farm? I don't know if you have extra bedrooms or not, but
you could have a married or partnered couple or singles live with you. If
you browse the IC website, you'll see that an IC is as varied as the day is
long. You could define what you expected and how much you would charge for
room & board, or if you charged. If a couple, you could expect one to work x
hours per week w/ you on the farm in exchange for r&b and the other person
would be free to work in town for spending money. Or something like that.

You could put up an "IC forming" ad on the IC website and say you're looking
for a couple and see if you get any credible responses and take it from
there.

Friends of ours have a big farm with a huge garden. Every year they have two
'apprentices' stay in a nearby cabin on their land. The apprentices stay for
at least one year, some have stayed for as long as three. If the owners need
to go away to visit family, the apprentices take care of the animals. A
former apprentice has even decided to live in our county.

Let us know how this progresses, my husband and I have thought several times
of selling our farm and joining one of the two largest communities here in
Floyd--the one that is the least restrictive!

Lisa