homestead - [Homestead] Climate change perspective

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [Homestead] Climate change perspective
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 17:53:34 -0700

One of the many subjects currently raising the temperature of tempers is global warming. One reads what one reads, makes a conclusion, stakes out a position and the fight is on. One must always be aware that tension is a robber of health. So just cool it. Earth's temperature has been rising and falling since, well, since Earth became Earth, and before, since Earth really did not become Earth until it was declared so by homo sapiens, one of Earth's newest inventions. Seems to me that we should expect climate change as we expect most other facts of life to change. Rather than get in a dither about who is right and who is simply making money out of pontificating, one profits most when one adopts the mindset of expecting and preparing for change.

Stay loose.

Here is an excerpt from:

Read the sunspots
The mud at the bottom of B.C. fjords reveals that solar output drives climate change - and that we should prepare now for dangerous global cooling
R. TIMOTHY PATTERSON, Financial Post
Published: Wednesday, June 20, 2007

Climate stability has never been a feature of planet Earth. The only constant about climate is change; it changes continually and, at times, quite rapidly. Many times in the past, temperatures were far higher than today, and occasionally, temperatures were colder. As recently as 6,000 years ago, it was about 3C warmer than now. Ten thousand years ago, while the world was coming out of the thou-sand- year-long "Younger Dryas" cold episode, temperatures rose as much as 6C in a decade -- 100 times faster than the past century's 0.6C warming that has so upset environmentalists.

Full article at:
http://www.canada.com/nationalpost/financialpost/comment/story.html? id=597d0677-2a05-47b4-b34f-b84068db11f4&p=4