homestead - Re: [Homestead] Farming Commune?

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Farming Commune?
  • Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:14:34 -0700

On Jun 20, 2007, at 11:23 AM, Lynn Wigglesworth wrote:

I've been thinking how nice it would be to join a 'family' of like- minded
people. A hippy commune (but NOT a PETA, vegetarian commune...a real
FARMING commune). I probably couldn't consider it until my kids (12 and
14) are launched into the world (their dad would put up a stink if I
hauled them off to Maine or somewhere). But it would be fun looking into
it, and could take me 5 years to sell this farm. . . . My sister lives in
Maine, and there are a lot of my kind of crazy, old hippy type people up
there. Any ideas?

Lynn, finding a community of like-minded people is the biggest challenge when seeking one's ideal place. It is good that you have five or six years to find yours. While some form of intentional community seems indicated, it may not be right for you. An IC is typically a place where members interface very closely, so fine compatibiilty is even more important than typical close neighbors. You've been calling your own shots for a long time; how will you feel when yours is but one of many votes?

Here's a response I gave to a reader in the Q & A part of my Web site:

"Marcee, you're right. The single biggest mistake people make when buying rural property is moving into a community of people where they just won't fit. Carefully check out the people before you buy the land. Subscribe to the local paper. Visit and talk to everyone you see. Attitudes and values will become apparent. Never expect that you will be able to change the local mindset."

Back to ICs: Once you identify two or three, spend several days living at each of them. Be very patient. Ask challenging questions. Making such a move can be very expensive, both cash-wise and psychologically. Many ICs require that you assign a substantial portion of your wealth to the community. Vehicles become for community use.

Most ICs that you investigate will be "forming." That is because utopian dreams are compelling but impossible to realize. Some people have been through several communities, always searching for the right place, where they will get what they want and not have to give up what they can't. Very few communities have the longevity of The Farm in Tennessee.

In other words, do what you know is right. Take your time, do your due diligence, take more time, investigate on a personal level. What you are looking for is family.