homestead - Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project

  • From: Clansgian AT wmconnect.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 18:08:09 EDT

> Your vehicle does NOT run at optimum efficiency between 40 and 20 mph.

But it does. Read on.

> Seriously, you'd have us believe that someone doing 60 and who would thus
> take 20 minutes to go the 20 miles is left sitting at a stop light long
> enough for the fella doing 25 who took almost an hour to get there?

Yes. We have things around here called 'mountains'. The roads thereupon coil
and twist and dip and rise. Every quarter mile or so at least 3/4th the way
in town 35 is about the top speed you can negotiate the curves and even that
is risky. So the unthinking morons who just swallow whole the idea that
their
vehicle is most efficient at 50 or 60 miles an hour is constantly braking to
make the curves and then impatiently accelerating back up to "speed" until
the
next one, both of which waste tremendous amounts of gas and puts the person
at
the first traffic light in town maybe twenty to thirty seconds ahead of
someone who just went a constant speed the whole way.

And that's a good allegory as well. Most people's modern gadget filled lives
consists of braking and accelerating with the illusion they are getting
somewhere. </HTML>