homestead - Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Riot for Austerity! 90% Reduction Emissions Project
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 20:45:34 -0800

----- Original Message ----- From: <Clansgian AT wmconnect.com>

I suppose some people THINK that's the case.

***Well, damn, I thought Carnac the Magnificent "died" when Johnny Carson quit the tonight show.

At any rate, learning how to do
all the kitchen (and every other) task with just your hands and a knife
builds skills, patience, poise, and understanding the things you are
working with.

***And your point would be? Surely you aren't claiming that one can't learn how to do a task without gadgets simply because one owns gadgets. Sounds like something Reich might say!

I guess it boils down to this: the difference between collecting a hoard of
gadgets and developing skills with simple tools is the differnce between
having more and being more.

***I realise this will be a rude awakening but in real life there are shades of gray. Everything isn't black and white. Just because one has "gadgets" does not mean one doesn't know how to do things without the gadgets. Sometimes one actually enjoys the gadgets even though some folks seem incapable of understanding that. Doesn't mean one doesn't also both know how to do things "from scratch," or have the skills and enjoy doing things the old-fashioned way.

And, as I said, some of us are multi-taskers. Now, on tomorrow's agenda is spaghetti and meatballs. Now, I could do them one of several ways -- buy them store bought (nasty thought!) or buy the ingredients ready to go or spend hours and hours doing every single blooming thing by hand the old-fashioned way OR, "oh my god, shades of gray," I can use my "gadget" to grind my fresh meat which I will then use my very own hands to mix with the bread crumbs I've used my "gadget" to make from ends of my from scratch bread, use my "gadget" of modern technology called an electric stove with a REAL simmer and have my sauce that I've made with my fresh ground meat and fresh local grown tomatoes and my herbs from my own herb bed which I will simmer all day and then I'll make the meatballs by hand and from scratch and the meatballs will get tossed in to simmer for the last hour, use my "gadget" to make spaghetti, which I'll make with my very own hands, on the counter, from scratch, and hang it to dry and still have time to do lots of other things during the day such as gardening, sewing, working on my cookbook, and working on a fantasy quilt I'm embroidering squares for.

We've always opted for the latter. </HTML>

***That's fine. But some of us actually enjoy living in a shades of gray world where we have the ability to use parts of modern technology without loosing the skills we learned from grandparents who were born in the 1800s.