homestead - Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 17:35:54 -0400

Lynda wrote:
You'll have to come visit sometime. <g> Have you seen the movie "Wrong Turn"? Well, that's where I live <<bg>>

LOL..I saw the trailer..I don't watch horror flicks..
BUT, you can't compete with me in this arena...Georgia is the king of
movies that "do a state proud" (ROTFLMAO)
Let's see,,,,there's Deliverance (always the first to pop into mind),
Remember the Titans, Sweet Home Alabama, My Cousin Vinny, Forrest Gump,
Fried Green Tomatoes, In the Heat of the Night, Roots, Driving Miss
Daisy, and The Dukes of Hazzard, all of which in some way or another
poke fun at rural Southerners and were made in Georgia to boot. I don't
know where Wrong Turn was filmed, but I thought it also poked fun at
rural Southerners..
By the way, James, I just read your Ethnicity post...too funny, but you
are right about the Appalachian ethnicity...part Irish, part Cherokee
(or other native American), part Black, and part German or Dutch in some
places..it sure is a mix, and the reason frijoles and tortillas are so
welcomed is because, as you know, Appalachians have historically been
more self sufficient and have lived more off the land, just as other
Native Americans(North, South, and Central Americans), and less like the
European/Northern industrial culture that relies more on the ships
coming in or a paycheck in one's pocket.
And just to clarify before anyone gets bent out of shape on this thread,
Appalachia runs from Maine to Alabama..Hillfolk everywhere.
But having said all of that, I think of ethnicity as culture and race as
skin color. Of course, there is major overlap, but you really can't
generalize too much, and in a couple of hundred years, the whole idea of
race will be a mute point as we will all have close to the same skin
color. Knowing humanity, we will find some other way to discriminate
and hurt each other, we are already doing such with age, weight, habits,
etc.
I am proud to be of Finnish heritage-I relate to it even though I am
only half Finnish. There aren't too many Finns around these parts, and
technically, I'm a quarter French(hate saying that, and as a caveat, my
family was from the Alsace-Lorraine, near the German/Swiss border, but
they did speak French and consider themselves French, French names and
all of that) and a quarter Scottish, and my mothers' family, the
French/Scottish side, were Northerners(VT, MA, NY, PA) then later
Midwest(OH and IL) and Westerners(CO and CA), but I was born and raised
in the South, and I'm proud to be a redneck woman who flies the American
flag proudly on the front deck and displays the Finn and Swedish flags
inside. :) (Ron's Swedish, but also a Southern boy...however, his Dad
grew up in Queens..)
America truly is a melting pot. Isn't it funny how we can look back at
our own family's migration with pride, but when we see migration taking
place now, we cringe?

Bev
--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.