homestead - Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~

  • From: EarthNSky <erthnsky AT bellsouth.net>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~
  • Date: Tue, 03 Apr 2007 11:34:16 -0400

Eyes can fool you.
You can't always tell someone's 'racial' makeup by looking at them.
Here, many Hispanics are indeed "white", and there are some biracial
people that look one way or the other. Hispanics can be brown, black, or
white.
I saw on the news a week or so ago that Cobb county, the Atlanta suburb
I left, is now majority Hispanic and Black. When we left, it was still
about 60-70% white. In less than 10 years, the stats have
flipped.(Based on enrollment in public schools) The census bureau
quickfacts are sadly outdated. Even two years makes a big difference in
population stats, at least here it does.
But according to the quickfacts for my county(2005 estimate)of an
estimated 50K, the county is 95% white and 13% Hispanic, or 83%
non-Hispanic white. Black population is only 3.5%, which is amazing
since the state itself is over 30% black. (when I moved here, in 1998,
the county population was only 20K, and 13K of that lived in the city of
Calhoun, leaving only 7000 of us living in the outlands. How times change)
At my new job, I will be supervising about 8 Hispanic workers, mostly
from Guatamala. I think there are 2 Mexicans and one Salvadorian. I
have to beef up on my Spanish and learn vocabulary related to my job.
Luckily, in science, the vocabulary is pretty close..resina for resin,
etc. usually Latin based words for both.

Bev

Lynda wrote:
Same up here, Toni. 88.87% white and supposedly .45% black but in 3
years we've seen only one person who was black and he was a tourist
that was just passing through. .47% Asian but we haven't seen any,
although there is a Chinese restaurant in the "big" city (population
3550) but everyone we see working there is white as white can be.
Supposedly 3.97% of the population is "Hispanic or Latino of any
race" but other than the family that owns the restuarant, I guess
everyone else is hiding.

We moved because of the isolation and the fact that it is somewhere
that LA will never discover and even if they do they'll run screaming
back to anywhere else. <g> Never thought we were moving to Wonder
Breadland.

Lynda ----- Original Message ----- From: <tonitime AT juno.com>

There are supposed to be maybe 2 Mexican families in this area, but
no one i know has ever seen them. This is one heckuva caucasian
area. When i go where there are people of different colors, i
almost want to hug them unknown!! When we moved here, my girlies
and i made up a game - Count the Redheads! Toni

--
Bevanron of EarthNSky Farm Sleep well tonight, for somewhere in the
ocean's depths, MY son is protecting YOUR freedom.