homestead - Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~

  • From: tonitime AT juno.com
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] tortillas in paradise~
  • Date: Mon, 2 Apr 2007 12:56:42 -0400

I'd imagine those restaurants would be the best place to find those to
deport, sighh. Funny thing we have noticed when dining at Chinese places
in the nearest city - Lexington, KY.- if one peeks thru the kitchen
doors, the cooks are Latinos!
Who'd have thought it?!

My Mom was a Public Health Nurse for farm labor camps for awhile - those
folk were great, steady workers. She would have them come to prune our
fruit and other trees for side jobs. At Xmas, they'd bring us tamales!
I'd often come home to find Mom and a teenage, unwed Mom to be sewing
baby clothes while the boyfriend or Dad would be training/trimming our
grapes. I learned about NOT working too frantically like many caucasians
do while outdoors. Slow - but very steady- is easier on the body if one
needs an 8+ hour day outside. Tho we spoke little spanish , language and
good will to each other were never a problem.
Toni