homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: Homestead <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 16:39:01 -0700

On Mar 18, 2007, at 2:59 PM, Marie McHarry wrote:

On the off chance that you still haven't gotten James's post, here it
is. He's right about the green itself not being harmful (but then he
seems to be right about a lot of things).

Thanks, Marie. It is now four o'clock and-a-half in Phoenix and I have not received his original post yet. I did receive his later post on canning potatoes. Go ponder.

It is almost always good to receive James' posts--on his good days. But I digress.

To the question at hand. I long ago learned (back when I believed words when printed) that apples contained a bonus of healthful goodies just under the skin, contraindicating peeling. So I didn't and I don't. It made and makes sense to me that the sun does good things to plants that are often good for we humans.

I extrapolated this logic to potatoes and never peeled them. I got joint pain. I stopped eating potatoes. I have now started eating potatoes. I now peel them. But I don't feel good about it at all. So I seek more information. Alas, as with much of our present world, separating fact from promotion staggers one's synaptic resources.