homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 08:01:23 -0700

Ratatouille:

Nice recipe. I would not add the garlic until close to the end of cooking. Overcooked garlic loses its flavor and, I suspect, some of its health-promoting properties.

We eat more garlic than most. Recipes that call for a few cloves get a full bulb's worth. I do a chicken pizza that uses roasted garlic. I use two bulbs on that. The trick is to slightly under-roast and to then let the bulbs cool so the skins can be removed without cooking one's fingers. The cloves are then cut into two or three chunks. Outstanding.