homestead - Re: [Homestead] Potatoes

  • From: Gene GeRue <genegerue AT ruralize.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Potatoes
  • Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 22:10:43 -0700

You're right -- time to start raising your own potatoes with dark
skins and lots of much. In the meantime, you can probably make do with
a nice sweet pottato.

Sweet potatoes are high on my good eating list, both for enjoyment and for health. In Rodale's 1981 book, Home Food Systems, there is on page 457, "The good-food target," a drawing of concentric ovals, with four outer rings and a center circle. In the perimeter ring is stuff like salted snacks and soda pop, the not-so-good-for-you stuff. In the center are the foods on which we may gorge ourselves with only benefit to our health. Among the whole grains, less-fatty fish, broccoli and garlic are found, yep, sweet potatoes. Eat all you like and you will glow like a pregnant lady.

Again, an ideal homestead food: highly healthful, easy to grow, easy to store. Always a regular crop at Heartwood. We store them upstairs above our bedroom, where it is cool in winter but warmer than the root cellar.

We have now a new way to enjoy them. A restaurant here in Phoenix introduced us to sweet potato fries with a sassy sauce and I have started making them. Still experimenting with dips; something tangy works well. I cook them in olive oil, but less than most people would use, just a bit more than for normal fried potatoes. Lip-smacking yummy.

Home Food Systems is a fine and useful book. It is out of print but Amazon has ten used copies available, from $5.37 to $38.82 plus $3.49 shipping. One proud owner claims to have a copy in new condition and will part with it for $95.00.
http://www.amazon.com/Home-Food-Systems-Processing-Preserving/dp/ 0878573208/ref=sr_1_3/002-8258346-8083207? ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1174279242&sr=8-3

No, I won't part with mine.