homestead - Re: [Homestead] EVOO, was Potatoes

  • From: "Lynda" <lurine AT softcom.net>
  • To: <homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] EVOO, was Potatoes
  • Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:09:03 -0700

They can't put the cold pressed on the label unless it is cold pressed. So, I'm thinking it might be other than EVOO. And, the Italians are real snitty about things that are the real thing having cold-pressed on the label!

There will be a difference in the flavor of the oil and the smoke point. The cold-pressed doesn't change flavors unless you *really* get it way too hot. The others get a real "taste" to them if you over heat them.

Lynda, who is busy playing in the dirt since she just got her last batch of seeds from Baker Creek and just finished building two mini-greenhouses.
----- Original Message ----- From: "Gene GeRue" <genegerue AT ruralize.com>

That's all I use, also, except for Canola (plus butter) on popcorn.
Not sure if I want to start telling people I cook with evoo, but it
is a conversation starter.

So what is your collected wisdom of the issue of cold-pressed? The
bottle next to the stove says Cold Pressed and Packed in Italy; the
new bottle in the pantry, otherwise exactly the same, says only
Packed in Italy. Looks like Trader Giotti is trying to sneak one by me.