homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That

  • From: Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That
  • Date: Thu, 01 Feb 2007 15:51:49 -0800

EarthNSky wrote:

Bill Jones wrote:

Lynda wrote:

Hmmmm, I've been gone a couple of days, so tomorrow I'm looking into the rice thingy. Now I'm wondering about maybe making a sort of "wild" area with "swampy" things like willow, cat tails, those iris, and ?????

Sorry, I only did research into useful plants. If you're just looking for pretty space-takers, the list of suitable plants is much, much longer.

Bill
S. Oregon coast

Bill, Bill, Bill....
Just when I thought you guys had buried the hatchet... :)
The plants that Linda mentioned, the ones you quoted, are not just "pretty space-takers". No plants are.
Willows have great medicinal use and can be made into all sorts of things that could provide income. Weeping willows, especially for me, are what I call 'spirit trees' because I love to look at them and they calm my spirit. Cattails are a food crop and can also be woven. Irises are used as fixatives in herbal preps. All of the plants listed are excellent at cleaning up water and are used for remediation.

Bev

Hatchet? I just thought plants objectively labeled closer to "5" on the Plants For a Future scale would be of greater interest than those closer to "1". In any case, what's wrong with pretty spacetakers? But I figured that this being a "homestead" list and all, plants that could be crucial in my survival might be of greater interest. I've gone my whole life without irises --not that they're bad-- and haven't missed them much. They're free here in abundance, but the larder will never be filled by them, so for me they take a secondary role. Perhaps one could compost them readily and use the result in the garden? That much is true of every plant that's not too woody or aromatic.

Bill
S. Oregon coast