homestead - Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That

  • From: "Marie McHarry" <mmcharry AT gmail.com>
  • To: homestead AT lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [Homestead] Swamp, was This and That
  • Date: Thu, 1 Feb 2007 19:31:45 -0600

On 2/1/07, Bill Jones <billj AT harborside.com> wrote:

When I lived in California I had a big collection of succulents. Now, I
feel that there's little time left in which to gather all the most
useful plants and evaluate their potential for growing here.

When I moved here from Chicago, I had a large collection of African
violets (and a lot of other house plants). They all disappeared, well,
died of neglect, as I got busy with homestead stuff. OTOH, I love
having flowers outside, and most years, I have really nice ones. My
mother and grandmother grew (and in Mom's case continue to grow) a lot
of their own food, and their flowers were and continue to be gorgeous.

Homesteading, for me, is not primarily about making plants happy, but
us. When our retirement income falls short of what we were hoping for,
I won't care about daisies much. We already live in such a naturally
pretty place.

Hey, if you don't make the plants happy they won't feed you.
Everything Mom touches, grows. Plants like her.

Good for you for picking a pretty place to live.

Marie, in frozen Illinois and having survived the first day of
whatever the virus is that's going around <cough, cough, hack, hack>